Thursday, July 8, 2010

How Restaurants Can Hate You

I'm going to have to give you a guide on how not to be a douchebag... at restaurants. If you still pop your collar, "make it rain" at the bar to impress girls, or are another of the faceless army of striped, partially unbuttoned shirts at the club ... well, you're on your own. But restaurants, a matter with which I am deeply personal with, is a whole 'nother thing.

I am a firm believer that there will always be three absolute indicators to the character of a man. The kind of company he keeps, the way he treats animals, and the way he treats restaurant staff.

With restaurant staff, you are in a position of power. There is no clearer glimpse into the window of someone's soul than to see them in a position of power. Yes, we as waiters are here to serve you. Yes, we generally are required to meet your every beck and call, and yes, we do want your patronage. But that doesn't give you an excuse to treat us like garbage.

I don't know if it's because Americans have been on the wrong end of a misanthropic Applebee's server or something, but being a waiter is considered a cop-out, bullshit job. We depend on your patronage, your tips to make a living, and the job is unique in the sense that you can pay as much as you think we deserve. If a doctor is an asshole or even bungles up your diagnosis, you've still got to make the co-pay. If for some reason you just didn't like us or you think an extra few bucks would really break your bank, you have the choice in that matter.

This is not meant to be an essay in defense of restaurant workers suggesting that you should always give 20% and think nothing of it. If a server sucks you should let them know that. But there are more constructive ways to go about it.

If a server sucks; is neglectful, poor hygiene, rude, incompetent, etc., then make note of that to their manager. And leave a bad tip. But if you just leave a bad tip, that doesn't tell us anything. If I think I did a good job and you give me 10%, I assume you are a tightwad McScrooge. Also, if you let a manager know, nine times out of ten your next visit will have some sort of comp on it. Constructive criticism will free us all.

So it's important to us that you like us, that you think we are doing a good job. But you may think it's unimportant how we feel about you. And you'd mostly be right. Even if you are the most miserable asshole to be around, we will treat you well regardless. And we won't spit in your food or tamper with anything else you may consume, contrary to popular belief. So it may not be an overstatement to say we are frankly powerless against you. There will be no repercussions for earning our wrath. But I will say there will be rewards for earning our love. So I present to you a brief guide on how to not get restaurant workers to hate you.

1) Don't chat endlessly before ordering.

I know you're real excited and all that Katie just met a new guy, and he's soooo talented and funny, but you came to a restaurant to eat and drink, did you not? Once you finish the Chocolate Lava Cake that you swore you weren't going to eat you can chat as long as you like over coffee about the diet you swear you'll start tomorrow. But just fucking order already. Ask questions if you have them, take your time to peruse the menu, but just order it and we'll get out of your way. On a busy night servers don't have time to come check on you every 5 minutes to wonder if you've started looking at the menu, and we don't want to interrupt your conversation however inane it might be, so just order and get on with it.

2) When you are ready to order, make sure you are actually ready to order.

A good waiter will make rounds on the dining floor to make sure if anyone needs anything. For the most part, you won't need to hold on to us this one time we're at the table because you'll never see us again. We'll be back I promise. So that being the case, take your time to review the menu and be ready to order when you say you are. Nothing is more annoying than when you say you're ready to order and all I'm met with are 3 minutes of "ummms" and "hmmms." You're not ready, you lied to me. You're reading the menu and trying to make a decision on the fly and I'm standing here looking like a jackass and trying my damnedest to not put on my "impatient" face. Then I have to be like "maybe you'd like to take a few more minutes to look at the menu?" and make an excessive return to your table. Oh and if I ask you that, don't be like "wait, wait, I've almost got it!" like you were fiddling in the dark for some poor girl's G-spot or something. In the eternal words of the Governator, I'll ... be... back. Chill.

3) Don't sit there forever and chat about the diet you swear you'll start tomorrow on a very busy night.

Alright, conversation is engaging, you're in your own world, you're having a great time. But are you really oblivious to the line of people and absolute cacophony of the restaurant? It's Saturday, there are people waiting for tables, the restaurant is trying to turn yours for the next guest. I mean I'm not going to kick you out, but maybe you could be polite and move your chit-chat to another venue. And if you're some of the last guests? This is the quickest and easiest way to get a restaurant to hate you. We all want to go home or go out, and see our loved ones who we can't have dinner with on a weekend. Either go make some bartender's night or go home and open a bottle of wine. We've closed the curtains, dimmed the lights, cleaned the dining room, that's a pretty clear sign that we would love for you to go home.

4) If you have diet restrictions, tell us, but realize how much of a pain in the ass it is.

I've been on both sides of the window, cooking plates and bringing plates to customers. It is annoying to customize the menu for you. I'll do it, gladly, so long as you realize this. Don't come up here with your sense of entitlement like we should be so thankful you have a gluten allergy. I know you didn't ask for it and you'd probably prefer to be able to eat pasta, but getting a random vegan, gluten-allergy, shellfish allergy, whatever... that throws a fucking wrench in the plan. A severely busy restaurant only requires one table to take too long, one kitchen mistake to fuck up the whole night for EVERYONE. It is a Butterfly Effect that we avoid at all costs. So show a little gratitude, or be a little apologetic, it goes a long way because it's very difficult for us to accommodate you, and the good restaurants will always want to.

5) Show gratitude when it's deserved.

While we're on the whole gratitude thing, please tip as much as you can afford to. I know not everyone can go out to a fancy restaurant every weekend, and when they do it is a special occasion they saved up for. I'll understand if you saved up $250 to take your girlfriend out and you can't tip 20% on that big of a bill. But seriously, if we do a good job, reward us for it. We do this for a living, if I need to reiterate that any more. And most of us work hard and try hard to earn that living. So like I said, if a waiter is doing a shitty job make that clear, but if we're doing a good job make that clear also. Communication! It's a wonderful thing.

6) Don't split a check a bajillion ways without telling us about it first.

When we take your order and you don't tell us you want it split, it goes in rather haphazardly. That means I only kind of remember who the fuck got what. Okay, fine I do remember, but that's because I know when I see a table of 8 sorority girls to itemize it carefully because they lacked the foresight to tell me they are splitting the check. And also because I have a spectacular short-term memory. So when it comes time to bring the bill, I'm such a sucker, but every time I hope, just pray so hard that you'll just need one bill. But nope, never the case. All of you want it split by order and then charged individually to daddy's Mastercard. Realize that the sheer mechanics and computing time it takes to divvy up your bill takes me at least 10 minutes of haggling with my obsolete computer. You are fucking up my shit. Ten minutes may not seem like a lot, but it's a fucking eternity when I'm not on the floor watching over my customers. So please, if you're going to be annoying, at least warn me about it so I don't go apoplectic in the middle of dinner service. Also, don't be so fucking surprised that there's a flat gratuity charge for your party of greater than 5. Have you ever been to a restaurant? And if I'm not mistaken that is a Prada purse. I know the real shit when I see it.

7) Be clear and polite about what you want, be calm and collected if you don't get what you want.

There's nothing more disgusting than to see a customer rage out at a server. I would say 1/100 times it's actually deserved anger. The other 99% is most likely you, angry man, taking out your frustration on a person who will take it. Yeah, sorry you got fucked by corporate bureaucracy or if your new office isn't on the corner lot, but don't take it out on me, okay? Your girlfriend is not turned on, and if she is? Well you two are sick fucks and I'm glad you found each other to take your sexual depravity out on one another. Seriously, I can't stress how important proper communication is. Just tell us what you need, talk to us like we're five if you really think we're that stupid, whatever, and we'll try our best to meet your needs. If it doesn't come out exactly the way you like it, then please just tell us. If you remain calm, we can do our job and we'll almost always comp you something for the mistake. Any restaurant worth its salt will want your patronage enough that they will be more than happy to try to make amends, you don't have to angrily demand compensation.

8) If we do screw up, realize that it's almost always the kitchen's fault.

Yes, I am a waiter as of now, but my heart is in the kitchen. I am a cook by breed. So I readily admit that if there is a serious error; your food is taking too long, it's under or over seasoned, it's not cooked right, it's cold, etc., it is the kitchen's fault. You just happen to be able to take it out on the waiter only. The waiter is the messenger, don't kill them. Yes, they make errors also, and when they do I get super pissed about it, but generally, it's the kitchen's problem. It's unfortunate there isn't a better way to communicate than to use the waiter as a mediator, but such is the way of restaurants. You leaving a bad tip, without explanation, for an error that was most likely not the waiter's fault seems kind of unfair, doesn't it?

9) Don't shout at me.

You know the scene in As Good As It Gets where an OCD-afflicted Jack Nicholson yells his order from across the restaurant? Yeah, a bit hyperbolic, but you get the point.

Do not whistle, shout or snap at me. This may seem like it should go unsaid, but seriously ... don't do it. I'm a person, not a dog. I know I look Asian on the outside, but believe it or not I am a college-educated American. I speak Engrish, herro prease.

More effective means of communication:

Scanning the dining room for me. Searching heads is a warning sign to us.
Trying to get eye contact from me, and when you do, a polite nod or a raised hand. Don't jump up and down in your seat trying to be a flagpole in the middle of my restaurant.
Once you do get eye contact from me you can also mime a scribble to signify that you'd like the check.

So simple... so simple...

10) The golden rule; treat me like a human being.

All of the above, sarcasm and cynicism abound, is warranted for me because I feel like I honestly try to do a good job. I will be the first to admit that most waiters don't want anything to do with restaurants in the future, but are doing this as a means to an end. I will also admit that there are many lackluster waiters and restaurant staff out there who don't do a very good job. But there are also those like me, who want to do this for a living (in some form), and many more who don't necessarily want to make a living out of restaurants, but work hard anyway.

We are trying, but we are human. We are prone to mistakes and having bad days just as much as you are. Try to see us as equal human beings, rather than less-than-human servants. SerVERS, we are. Not serVANTS. There's a certain degree of respect required of that relationship. And as I said before, your efforts, if we can call them that, can go rewarded.

It's almost a bad thing to be considered a "regular" somewhere. I see nothing wrong with that. I in fact think its terrible that that would ever have a negative association. If you like a place, like the people, have an honest rapport with them and like going there, then why not go there as much as you like? Now you don't have to go somewhere weekly to become a regular, but if you start popping up once a month, or for your special occasions, a restaurant will notice and care for you. If you tip us well, if you've always been such a wonderful person to wait on, you can rest assured that we will do our damnedest to take care of you. That means all the attention you want, comped appetizers and/or desserts, maybe a few drinks on us, generally we promise it'll be a good experience. Regulars are more valuable to us than anything else, and we will make sure you know that.

So if not for just being a better person, confirming for your date that you are a wholesome and decent human being, do it for the rewards. Treat us well, be loyal to us and we will respond in kind.

EP6

12 comments:

  1. "8) If we do screw up, realize that it's almost always the kitchen's fault.

    Yes, I am a waiter as of now, but my heart is in the kitchen. I am a cook by breed. So I readily admit that if there is a serious error; your food is taking too long, it's under or over seasoned, it's not cooked right, it's cold, etc., it is the kitchen's fault. You just happen to be able to take it out on the waiter only. The waiter is the messenger, don't kill them. Yes, they make errors also, and when they do I get super pissed about it, but generally, it's the kitchen's problem. It's unfortunate there isn't a better way to communicate than to use the waiter as a mediator, but such is the way of restaurants. You leaving a bad tip, without explanation, for an error that was most likely not the waiter's fault seems kind of unfair, doesn't it?"

    This is 100% NOT TRUE at ALL and YOU KNOW IT!!

    This is a contradictory statement, because you are saying "WE DO SCREW UP", then say "kitchen's fault." It's most of the time "YOU" screw it up, not the kitchen staff. You have a set of EYES to notice obvious errors and the kitchen staff members don't bring me my food, my server does or another server.

    90% of the time it's the SERVER'S FAULT:

    1. They can put in the order wrong into the computer or if it's a written ticket they submit, they could have written something down wrong or hard to read.

    2. They could have forgotten to put in the order in the first place.

    3. Most mistakes with food are visible:

    A. Condiments of any kind regardless of who brings out the food can be brought out by the server ahead of time.

    B. If someone orders extra crispy bacon with their pancakes, then the bacon looks limp, not stiff, and you can even see some white fat on it, guess what? MY SERVER COULD HAVE SEEN THAT TOO AND TOLD THE COOKS IT WASN'T CORRECT, TO RECOOK IT INSTEAD OF BRINGING IT TO ME WRONG IN THE FIRST PLACE!

    C. If I asked for bbq sauce on the side of my ribs and none on my ribs, if when you take the plate from the kitchen, my ribs have bbq sauce on them guess what? It's YOUR FAULT you BROUGHT me the ribs with bbq sauce on them. That's a DUH mistake.

    D. I have had this happen twice that I ordered 2 sides of bbq sauce with baby back ribs, then the servers brought out ribs without any bbq sauce. They didn't listen. I NEVER SAID I didn't want bbq sauce on the ribs and that I wanted it "on the side", I said I wanted "2 SIDES" of bbq sauce. If you think about it, that means I want a LOT of bbq sauce. If I said I wanted it on the side, then that's different, but I didn't. I also didn't say I wanted no bbq sauce on the ribs either. Ever since those 2 times, I end up telling my server I want bbq sauce on the ribs as well as 2 sides of bbq sauce, although, I shouldn't have to tell them what's already on the menu already. It comes with bbq sauce, so I shouldn't have to truly say that. It's pathetic that they ASSUMED I wanted my ribs delivered completely dry. One waitress at Bennigan's doubted herself before she handed me my plate when it was in her hand and asked if I wanted bbq sauce on the ribs. I was thinking, it would have been nice if she was confused to have asked me when she was getting ready to put in the order. What an IDIOT!!

    E. Any wrong side dishes or entrees are the fault of the server if they bring out the food even if they put in the order right. You can tell the difference between a baked potato and mac n' cheese, yet, a waiter at Logan's Roadhouse was so stupid as to bring me mac n' cheese when I ordered a baked potato. I noticed it within 5 seconds of the food hitting my table. Like DUH a baked potato looks completely different from mac n' cheese.
    Continued next post:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Continued:
    F. Any MISSING side dishes, appetizers, condiments, or entrees ARE the server's fault if they bring out the food as well. Have had that happen a few times or so. Our servers aren't blind, so they can tell if something is missing or not.

    G. I have seen a red steak delivered to someone before at Outback which means let's say the customer ordered their steak well done, that the server could have noticed the color difference.

    H. If something looks burnt such as a piece of bread with the food and the person didn't order it burnt, my server is at fault for serving me that.

    I. If my server forgets an item that an entree or appetizer comes with, that's their fault if they brought me my food without the item such as a side dish or ranch.

    F. I have ordered at Outback my fries "lightly cooked" "Not overdone and yellow not brown." I have had their fries before cooked the way I like them before many of times before this time I am talking about. This stupid waitress decided to blame the kitchen staff for REALLY DARK BROWN FRIES as if she was blind or something and my husband even told me he could see that they were really dark. My husband may not agree with me on every subject of course, but with that, you could EASILY tell just by LOOKING that those fries were overdone and very dark. She said she put in the order correctly. I am thinking, SO? I wish I could have said "Are you blind?" That was HER FAULT she DECIDED TO SERVE ME THOSE FRIES THAT WEREN'T CORRECT. I noticed the mistake within 3 seconds of my food being placed in front of me.

    http://www.bunrab.com/dailyfeed/dailyfeed_images_feb-07/df07_02-04_baconn.jpg

    You can tell in this picture above the bacon is very crispy just by simply LOOKING at it.

    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_vv2IGE5obwk/RwVi-0hZziI/AAAAAAAABjc/m6bP-Te_wJE/s320/IMG_8338.jpg

    You can tell in this picture, the bacon is NOT CRISPY, just by simple LOOKING at the bacon.

    While the server didn't "COOK" the bacon, it's obvious to the EYES that one batch of bacon is crispy and the other isn't to decide to BRING the food to the customer wrong or not. It's my server's fault if they decide to bring me the bacon that's like in picture 2 if I ordered it crispy that she or he didn't tell the cooks it was wrong and get them to cook the bacon more instead of SERVING it wrong. WHY bring it out only for the food to be sent back?

    My server's job isn't just to bring out what the kitchen staff gives them, it's also getting the order OBVIOUSLY correct to the table as much as possible in order to get that good tip.

    Same thing with dark brown fries vs. lightly colored fries, that you can tell just by LOOKING at fries if they are really overdone or not.

    You also can notice if someone has wing sauce "On the side" vs. "On the wings" themselves. This isn't rocket science.

    Most of the things that are wrong with the food can be caught by the server if they bring out the food, even if they didn't cook it. If it's another server, they can catch obvious errors on the ticket and menu(such as menu states the item comes with bbq sauce and the ticket doesn't say "no bbq sauce") if the ticket was correctly put in by the original server that took the order. Condiments(in bottles or on the side in containers) can always be offered to be brought out ahead of time REGARDLESS of WHO brings out the food to the table.

    So most of the time when the food has something wrong with it, chances are, your server or another server could have caught the mistake before it got to you in most instances. I NEVER said ALL, but in most cases, it can be caught BEFORE bringing out the food(unless another server brings out the food with the ticket wrong), because then the original server that took the order is at fault for putting the order in incorrectly into the computer.
    Continued next post:

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are few rare cases where the food being wrong is the kitchen staff's fault such as raw food(such as raw chicken), slightly undercooked or overcooked food that you'd have to CUT into to know if it was under or overcooked, or anything the server cannot see with their eyes unless they were to TOUCH the food. Things such as a pickle under a bun the server can't notice unless they lift the bun, so unless they put the order in wrong, they wouldn't be at fault, but in general most food mistakes can be caught BEFORE bringing the food to the table.

    What I am saying is, MOST mistakes ARE PREVENTABLE by the SERVER if they bring your order to you that they can NOTICE things wrong by comparing those written orders to the plates of food.

    Once a waiter at Chili's said "The kitchen forgot" when I had ordered 2 sides of mayo and 1 side of mustard. The thing is, my waiter brought out the food, so NO, HE HE HE HE HE FORGOT, the kitchen staff didn't step out the kitchen to bring me my food and forget obvious missing containers from my plate that aren't covered up by anything. MY WAITER DID THOUGH!! I HATE this type of attitude. YOU have that attitude it seems.

    You walk in one room in your house with a plate of food, but forget the ranch. Even if your mom or significant other plated your food, which you even told her you wanted a side of ranch for your fries, but you bring it to another room. HOW IS THAT THEIR FAULT? It's YOUR FAULT YOU LEFT THE ROOM WITHOUT THE RANCH AND DIDN'T NOTICE IT SINCE IT'S SOMETHING OBVIOUS YOU DON'T HAVE TO *TOUCH* TO NOTICE THE MISTAKE!!

    Even if he didn't bring out the food, that waiter could have prevented that type of thing from being forgotten since it needs no cooking to bring it out ahead of time. It is always the person bringing out the food that is at fault for any type of mistake that you don't have to TOUCH the food to notice the mistake, unless of course, the ticket was put in wrong by the original server that took the order with another server bringing out the food. Of course unless, the kitchen goofs up, making it correctly even if the ticket is wrong, but that's highly unlikely scenario.

    I cannot believe you honestly think that the server is not at fault for most food mistakes. WE LIVED THROUGH THE "DUH" MISTAKES, SO WE CAN SEE WITH OUR EYES WHO WAS AT FAULT!!

    We had a waiter once admitted he grabbed the wrong entrée from the kitchen. It was just my husband and I. This waiter not only admitted he didn't compare the WRITTEN ORDER with the entrées he was bringing out, but also we saw he had other entrées for another table that he didn't ONCE get his pad of paper out to see WHICH ENTRÉE WENT WITH WHICH TABLE!! So 2 times he could have caught his mistake, but didn't *****TRY HIS BEST AS HE SHOULD HAVE, because that's HIS JOB**!!

    He admitted that he grabbed the wrong entrée from the kitchen. He brought my husband fried shrimp w/fries when he ordered crawfish au gratin w/baked potato. Those items look NOTHING A LIKE, but yet THAT WAITER WAS TOO LAZY AND UNCARING TO VERIFY WTF HE WAS BRINGING US!! We still left him 17% BTW, just to let you know since he profusely apologized TWICE and FIXED THE SITUATION IMMEDIATELY just about. We honestly shouldn’t have though, because that really didn't make him LEARN anything. If I had to do it all over again, I would have tipped 13%. It's because since that happened(a number of years ago, maybe like 4), we have had some terrible experiences. We have had good ones too of course, but the servers need to LEARN that they can't just hand you ANYTHING like McDonald's cashiers do. They are there to EARN a tip, NOT to just hand you anything.

    So it was HIS fault my husband's food took longer to get to him due to HE didn't check over his written order BEFORE bringing out all the entrées he brought out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If your food is taking too long it could be:

    Ask yourself:

    1. WHEN did you put in my order?
    2. Did you put in my order CORRECTLY?
    3. Did you FORGET to put in my order entirely?
    4. Did you FORGET anything I ordered?
    5. Did you bring out the WRONG FOOD the first time around, because you didn't VERIFY WHAT you were bringing me?
    6. Did you FORGET OR DELAY GETTING MY ORDER TO ME?
    7. Did you DROP my food on the floor?

    These things CAN HAPPEN!!

    Sometimes taking a long time or a longer time has A LOT to do with the server:

    We have had 3 TIMES where servers FORGOT to put food orders into the computer. We also have 4 times servers forget to get bar drinks from the bar.

    We also have had delays due to that the servers delayed putting orders into the computer when they COULD have such as deciding to buss a table first or decide instead of a mini-greet(I'll be right with you all), they decided to take like 6 people's drink/appetizer orders instead of putting in our food orders. I can understand if they call you over, but if they don't, you should be putting that order into the computer not delaying our food. The longer you wait to put in orders, the LONGER WE WAIT!!

    Also, if your server put in your order wrong, that's THEIR FAULT you are waiting longer for your food, because the kitchen staff only knows what's on the ticket, PERIOD!!

    My husband and I have had wrong food put into the computer and even stupid servers bring it out that took the order even. You have to be stupid to not even LOOK at WHAT you are bringing the person. Act like it's your food. I was once brought quesadillas when I ordered bbq chicken nachos. The waiter was too LAZY to COMPARE his written order to the food. Turns out, he admitted pressing a wrong button. So not only did he delay my food from getting to me by bringing me the completely wrong food, but also put in the order wrong to begin with. So he made 2 mistakes. That was the fault of the waiter, not the kitchen staff.

    Also, if your server FORGETS something from the kitchen even though they put in the order correctly, that's on YOUR SERVER, NOT the kitchen staff since your server brought you your food. They have full control of what is in their hands they are taking you.

    Condiments are the most common thing to be forgotten. That is the server's fault no matter who brings you your food, because my server can offer to bring those out ahead of time.

    The same situation I mentioned above about the waiter that grabbed the wrong entrée from the kitchen has to do with the wrong food as well as time. It was just me and my husband. This waiter not only admitted he didn't compare the WRITTEN ORDER with the entrées he was bringing out by saying he grabbed the wrong entrée from the kitchen, but also we saw he had other entrées for another table that he brought out on a tray that he put on a tray jack which he didn't ONCE get his pad of paper out to see WHICH ENTRÉE WENT WITH WHICH TABLE!! I saw with my own 2 EYES he didn't EVER get his pad of paper to make sure he was bringing his customers the correct items. So 2 times he could have caught his mistake, but didn't *****TRY HIS BEST AS HE SHOULD HAVE, because that's HIS JOB**!! So this wasn't even REAL MISTAKE, it was a LACK OF ***EFFORT**** and BEING LAZY!! Go work at MCDONALD'S IF YOU WANT TO NOT CARE ABOUT WHAT YOU HAND PEOPLE YOU DUMB SERVERS!!

    He admitted that he grabbed the wrong entrée from the kitchen. He brought my husband fried shrimp w/fries when he ordered crawfish au gratin w/baked potato. So it was HIS fault my husband's food took longer to get to him due to HE didn't check over his written order BEFORE bringing out all the entrées he brought out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If your server delays going to get your food when they DO have a chance to run it, but they are chit-chatting about personal stuff, that is for sure their fault.

    I would say 90% of the time your server had SOMETHING to do with how long you waited for your food by the fact that they didn't go put the order in as quickly as they could have in a fair manner that is. I don't expect our server to put in orders if they have food/drinks/request that came BEFORE we ordered, because they were BEFORE us, but when it is our turn, don't DISRESPECT OUR TURN by INTENTIONALLY DELAYING our food.

    If the food is cold, sometimes it is the server's fault that they didn't bring your food due to that you were chit-chatting with your friends or customers instead of bringing out the food.

    "I would say 1/100 times it's actually deserved anger."

    NO, I would say it's the exact opposite. Sometimes some servers are too lazy to WRITE THINGS DOWN. Whether it's your order or any request, then they forget. Don't you want your server to get it right the first time? At least TRY is what I am saying.

    Why shouldn't a customer be mad with you when you bring them the completely wrong food if you were their server that took the order? That shows complete lack of trying, because you could have caught that mistake before leaving the kitchen even if you put in the order wrong, you could have grabbed your pad of paper that you wrote the order on. Now if you wrote it down wrong, they you are an idiot and need to go back to school.

    Since it's most of the time the server screws up, it IS deserved anger. 90% of the times you know when it's your server or another server or the kitchen staff is at fault. Sometimes even servers have admitted putting in orders wrong even if another server delivered the food completely wrong. We have had that happen before.

    "6) Don't split a check a bajillion ways without telling us about it first."

    While I agree with you, I also think *YOU* can be the person to be PROACTIVE as I have seen servers do before "(((ASK WHEN YOU HAVE A LARGE PARTY IF THE CUSTOMERS WILL BE DOING SEPARATE CHECKS**)). That way, if they do know, you will know when greeted IMMEDIATELY!! Don't be a stupid idiot, try to get to know by **SIMPLY OPENING YOUR MOUTH AND NOT DEPENDING ON CUSTOMERS TO THINK OF THAT STUFF**!! Also, let's say they change their mind, well that IS INCONSIDERATE to do that and MORALLY WRONG. If they say they aren't sure, as a server, I would just split them incase. If they only want one check, then you can just add them all up I guess. I would rather split them than find out later if they aren't sure.

    WHY DON'T YOU BE PROACTIVE BY ASKING THE CUSTOMERS YOU IDIOT? You complain, but you don't do ANYTHING ABOUT IT WHEN **YOU*** CAN CONTROL THIS 100% BY FINDING OUT WHEN GREETED!!

    Heck, even a party of as little as 5, you might want to consider asking.

    "4) If you have diet restrictions, tell us, but realize how much of a pain in the ass it is."

    You sound VERY LAZY!!

    "be a little apologetic,":

    Apologetic about getting what you want for YOUR MONEY? I DON'T THINK SO!! FUCK THAT!! Are you kidding me?

    "So show a little gratitude,"

    This one I will agree with 100% if you get it RIGHT that is the first time around, not if you fuck up, you won't get as much praise or money.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Don't come up here with your sense of entitlement like we should be so thankful you have a gluten allergy."

    I don't have a gluten allergy, but I am a very picky eater with many modifications to my order. Don't you come with YOUR SENSE OF TIP ME ENTITLEMENT that you will get tipped just to bring me anything and not care if it's obviously correct or not. YOU FEEL ENTITLED, NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND!!

    CUSTOMERS ARE VERY MUCH ENTITLED TO GET WHAT **THEY** PERSONALLY WANT FOR THEIR MONEY IF THE RESTAURANT HAS THE INGREDIENTS AND THE THINGS TO MAKE THE FOOD!!

    You act "ENTITLED" that we should BOW to you just because you serve us. Sorry, but you are just another server just as we are just another customer. You get paid for you EARNING your tip, which means you have to satisfy what the **CUSTOMER** wants as long as you can do it. For example, if you don't serve pizza, but a customer wants pizza, well you can't, but if a customer wants their bacon very crispy, you can put that into the computer and if you bring it out, you can make sure it's crispy unless it is completely covered up of course.

    "But if you just leave a bad tip, that doesn't tell us anything."

    First off, if I told you something was wrong with my food or the check or whatever you forgot or go wrong, you know already. If you have common sense, you may know. A good example would be making customers wait 15 minutes for some cokes in only in a party of 2. Some things are common sense. Bringing the check too soon. Assuming something when you were wrong such as once we had a waiter assumed I wanted my appetizer with my meal just because me and my husband ordered 2 appetizers and 2 entrées. We NEVER SAID we wanted one with our meals. We went by the MENU as it stated, it was an appetizer. If I wanted it as an entrée, I would have said I wanted it that way or with my entrée. He knew what he did wrong, we told him. Even if let's say we wouldn't have, common sense plays into this that HE ASSUMED. NO SERVER SHOULD EVER ASSUME ANYTHING!!

    Some of the things that happen are common sense or usually the customer TELLS the server what was wrong or missing.

    Also, we have had times where the server must have remembered my condiments when they brought out our food by saying they would be back with them without me reminding them. Then, they wouldn't even say they were sorry. LIKE DUH, WHY DO YOU THINK YOUR TIP WAS UNDER 15% STUPID IDIOT? No apology and you fucked up when you could have brought those condiments out ahead of time if you are that forgetful. In this type of case, no I didn't tell my servers, they remembered on their own, but delayed me from eating and didn't say they were sorry for forgetting the condiments, so it doesn't take a GENIUS to figure out WHY the tip wasn't 20%. LIKE DUH!!

    Some things just are freaking common sense!!

    "If a server sucks you should let them know that."

    I have tried that before, but it really doesn't work to fight with them. They will try to defend themselves instead of admitted they were in the wrong. A good example, a waitress that was just horrible by she kept messing up and not apologizing for her mistakes, I told her "I had to ask for utensils twice." She told me to my face "THAT'S THE HOSTESS'S JOB!!" Now, initially it is, but you can't expect customers to always get their own utensils. I have before, but I don't feel I should have to all the freaking time. That's not MY JOB as a customer!! So you see, it did NO GOOD, she was a fucking ass bitch and got herself FIRED for being rude!!

    Best thing to do is to give a bad tip or no tip if it's really bad and report them to the managers, possibly corporate as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "2) When you are ready to order, make sure you are actually ready to order."

    This is one I 100% agree with you on. It wastes time if you aren't ready to order and it is inconsiderate to other customers that need their server. It also is inconsiderate to the server's money as well by holding them up.

    Same thing goes to servers too!! Please don't come and greet us with "How is your day today?" or some long winded possible answer. We are HUNGRY and THIRSTY, so please let us ORDER!! Once, I had an Applebee's waiter greet my husband and I on Mardi Gras day after waiting 15 mins. for a table "How's y'all's Mardi Gras, Go to any parades?" All we wanted to do was ORDER. So we just answered no, that we didn't do that, because we didn't anymore since we were young. No wonder why there was a 15 min. wait if he did that to every table wasting time like that.

    So my point is, it goes BOTH WAYS!! Don't hold us up if we are ready to order and we won't hold you up when we say we are ready to order. If I need more time, I am very truthful about that. I NEVER hold up a server!! That is just so rude and inconsiderate to other customers. Also, to think about if that was me wanting something, but my server was stuck at a table that kept saying "Uh, UH" , that would be frustrating when it's YOU that wants a refill or your check or whatever.

    "9) Don't shout at me."

    This one I 100% agree with as well. NEVER yell at a server!!

    "10) The golden rule; treat me like a human being."

    It goes both ways as well. Where is my apology for you forgetting my ranch? I say "thank you" even when servers forget things, but 99% of them don't apologize, for real, they don't. They don't act like you are human and have REAL FEELINGS!! They expect the "thank you", but we expect an apology if you mess up. It's called COMMON COURTESY!!

    "Try to see us as equal human beings,"

    Only if I see you TRIED YOUR BEST AND WASN'T RUDE!! If I can tell you were lazy or lied to me or weren't nice, then you get what you gave to us.

    "The waiter is the messenger"

    NO, your server is the person BRINGING you out things that more times than not can be determined if they are correct or not just by simply LOOKING at them. The only time a server is a messenger would be if it would be something that you could not possibly control such as cold as ice food(meaning they didn't heat the food up enough or the food coming out too quickly when you put in the order correctly), a steak that is slightly under or overcooked when you put in the order correctly, raw food that isn't obvious, etc. The server is not just a messenger in most cases and you KNOW IT!! Servers have a lot of control over how a lot of your food comes to your table. I didn't say every single thing, but I am saying there are a lot of things a server can do to mess up.

    Yes, they make errors also, and when they do I get super pissed about it, but generally, it's the kitchen's problem."

    No, generally it's honestly the SERVER'S FAULT or ANOTHER SERVER'S FAULT THAT BROUGHT OUT THE FOOD IF THE TICKET WAS CORRECT!!

    That is the GOD'S TRUTH AND YOU KNOW IT!!

    BE RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT YOU BRING A CUSTOMER AS FAR AS THINGS YOU CAN NOTICE WITHOUT TOUCHING ANYTHING TO NOTICE IT IS WRONG, UNLESS YOU AREN'T MY SERVER AND THE TICKET ISN'T CORRECT OF COURSE!!

    "It's unfortunate there isn't a better way to communicate than to use the waiter as a mediator, but such is the way of restaurants."

    It is unfortunate that servers like YOU don't want to admit fault when they make a mistake, because you wouldn't ever say it's most of the time the kitchen staff's fault for food errors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "You leaving a bad tip, without explanation, for an error that was most likely not the waiter's fault seems kind of unfair, doesn't it?"

    No, more likely it's your server's fault. WHY can't you get this? MOST mistakes you get, you KNOW WHO could have noticed it BEFORE YOU!! I had recently as stupid uncaring bitch waitress that wasn't our server bring out an OPEN-FACED burger without my bacon, no ranch, and pickles on the plate. LIKE DUH, she didn't compare the ticket to the food, because I don't think my waitress put in 3 things wrong into the computer. Maybe one she may have forgotten, but 3 things, when I had specifically ordered my bacon extra crispy, almost burnt, so it was a specific order for the bacon. I showed her in a not-so-nice manner, which is unusual for me, but I am SICK of these LAZY ASS SERVERS!! She responded "I am not your server." I responded "READ THE TICKET!!" Those 3 mistakes could have been caught by that other waitress. My server could have offered to bring that ranch out BEFORE the food came out so NO ONE would forget considering we were tipping our waitress, so our waitress was truly responsible for the ranch.

    So you see, while it wasn't the server's fault for the bacon and pickles(assuming the order was put in correctly), that waitress was a part of my service, which that is what I am tipping for OUR SERVICE. Also, the 2 ranches(different kinds) were forgotten with the appetizer as well from another server. Neither one of them apologized and our waitress COULD HAVE EASILY PREVENTED the condiments from being forgotten both times, but didn't.

    It is MOST LIKELY THE SERVER'S FAULT!! Sure, the bacon and the pickles weren't probably my server's fault assuming she put the order in correctly, but that is still part of the service since that person is "SERVING" us food at our table, so even if the tip isn't split evenly among them both, that has ZERO to do with the customer. Tell your manager if you want things to be fair. The current system is unfair. Servers running each other's food is a terrible system that doesn't work very well and the main reason it doesn't, they don't get penalized or rewarded for bringing out the right or wrong thing. That waitress didn't get a hit in her tip that brought me out the burger with my bacon, with pickles, and without the ranch, my server did. It's not fair that a customer pays well for a service that is not good, REGARDLESS of WHO in the service messed up. The kitchen staff is not in my service, but my server and sometimes another server IS.

    You don't need to know an explanation if you are smart. I didn't need to report a waitress that made us wait 15 minutes to bring us one coke and one tea when she wasn't double or triple sat and even decided to serve people at a table that the table wasn't even bussed when we were seated. If you have COMMON SENSE, you think like a CUSTOMER, then look at what they gave you. Think about maybe you sucked and it's not that they were cheap. There may be some cheap asses, but we aren't one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hm... I'm only guessing there are several degrees of quality separating the Applebees and bacon so near to Springs1's heart and the restaurant(s) served by the blogger... degrees of quality of gastronomy and service, anyway. Maybe not of patronage. Anyway, I'm not sure it's fair to compare experiences with Applebee's servers to a, you know, *fine* dining experience.

    ReplyDelete
  10. PS: Mentions of "bacon" by above poster: 16

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amelie
    "Anyway, I'm not sure it's fair to compare experiences with Applebee's servers to a, you know, *fine* dining experience."

    It sure is. My husband and I have had bad service at fine dining restaurants before. A waiter once at a fine dining restaurant made our party(a party of 4 we were) wait around 15 minutes for one coke and one tea, yet, brought out the alcoholic beverages out first, which is backwards. The manager told me the coke for the servers weren't working, but she agreed with me that he still could have brought out the tea. Also, we had to remind him. He NEVER ONCE said he was sorry. He forgot my ranch I asked for with the bread. Our meals took over an hour and he didn't tell us anything about why.

    Another fine dining restaurant experience, we were overcharged $2 on a margarita price that was ordered "AS IS" from the drink menu. The waiter was too lazy to check the prices against the check. He even blamed the menu saying it was a misprint instead of acting like when he is a customer, he doesn't order from the computer, he orders from a MENU, which is LEGALLY the only price that can be charged. While he couldn't change the price himself in the computer, he could have gotten it fixed from his manager well before check time since I ordered it mid-meal. He didn't even have much prices to check even, because our both meals were the same exact thing, the same exact prices.

    Another time, twice at a certain fine dining restaurant, we waited 10 minutes to get greeted. One of these times, the person that greeted us was the water boy that never informed us they were out of ribeyes. I don't care if you aren't planning on ordering an item, be considerate to tell the customers they are out of something. Even our waitress didn't until we started ordering our meals.

    The other time we waited 10 minutes to get greeted, there was a mix up with whose section it was, so one person thought the other took our table, but nobody did. We waited 10 minutes, then spoke up to the hostess.

    So you see, fine dining can and has been just as bad at times. It's all about the SERVER if they aren't lazy and are caring. It's not about what the food cost or how nice the restaurant is.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Analysis, cont'd:

    # time CAPITALIZATION used to EMPHASIZE KEY POINTS: >200

    # times "DUH" is used to emphasize brainlessness of server: 6

    # times "LIKE DUH" used to especially emphasize brainlessness of server: 4

    ...this is fun! Ok, no more from me on this one. Just taking advantage of a perfect opportunity to practice qualitative coding and theming.

    ReplyDelete