Sunday, July 26, 2009

Ventures in to the New Kitchen

So my first weekend at Va Pensiero is done with and all I can is, what a weekend.

I worked Wednesday through Saturday starting at 2 PM everyday and ending around 10-11 PM. The kitchen at Va P is at a level that took some adjusting to. There are way more customers with the kitchen trying to produce 100+ covers every night, the space is huge (a kitchen with windows is a wonderful rarity), and the pace is fast. Chef Jeff runs a tight ship and definitely had a busy weekend, and I like to think he was relieved to have an extra serf lying around to do his bidding. There are a couple of interesting things about this restaurant that I was very pleasantly surprised to discover.

The staff is the definitely the first thing. Like many kitchens and restaurants (especially those in the 'burbs), this place is staffed mainly by Central American immigrants. But even though there is lightning fast Spanish being spoken, I was really surprised to discover that the wait staff speaks perfect English. Like had I just heard their voices I would've thought they were your average ole' Americans. Everybody takes their job seriously, works hard and I like to believe is genuinely interested, if not passionate, about the restaurant biz. The sous chef, Chewie, is incredibly kind and helpful and I really look forward to working with him throughout my time here.

The work is also way better. I guess Jeff and Chewie trust me to work with food a lot more than my previous employers, and I've gotten to do some really cool stuff. I manned the grill station for a little while and that was incredibly exciting for me to be on the line, even in a small capacity. When people joke that cooks literally cook themselves throughout their careers I have found that that really isn't a joke at all. The grill is blazing, fucking hot. Obviously these guys are used to it and have desensitized themselves to heat, but even reaching towards the back of the grill with tongs, just for a moment, I find myself recoiling in pain, fearful of what must be the scorching remains of my hand. And these crazy bastards are flipping veal chops with their bare hands! I understand why chefs think of themselves as street warriors. And I guess I'm kind of a little girl, but my point is the grill and the line is fucking HOT. With saute pans flipping everywhere, huge pots of pasta water bubbling away, the grill slow-roasting me from a distance, and the convection oven burping holocaustal heat every time its opened ... let's just say it's a crazy experience. Crazy awesome.

Unfortunately, since Jeff isn't hiring right now, his kitchen is fully staffed and I couldn't stay on the line or at any one station indefinitely as there was someone already doing their job better than me. So I was "relegated" to an odd personal assistant position. I did a lot of prep work; cutting veggies (knife blisters FTW), breading lamb chops, shelling peas ... that kind of shit. But I was introduced to the creative side of cooking, which I had not really been expecting to participate in for many years. Apparently there are a lot of vegans these days and they always come unannounced and expect people to prepare shit for their special needs. Yes I am hating on you vegans. That's no way to live life. Anyway, a bunch of vegans showed up and expected something delicious.

Chef Jeff ANGRY!! He points at me and stares intentedly for a few seconds, I can see the gears working in his head. Then comes the command, "Lentils on the stove, now! Get me 2 bunches of asparagus, a few zucchini and tomatoes!" I'm still getting used to where everything is and it takes me a little bit to get everything together. I apologize, he responds, "Don't be fucking sorry, be faster." I am commanded to cook the green lentils, wash and shave the aspargus, and cut the zucchini on the bias and grill them with salt, pepper and paprika. Some time later everything is ready to go, he doesn't say anything about the timing and that is praise enough in itself. I'm on time, sweet. We plate. Rather he plates because I have no fucking idea what I'm doing or what he wants. Ring mold goes down on 6 round, white plates. A few spoonfuls of lentils go first. The shaved asparagus is tossed with olive oil, salt & pepper, lemon juice and goes on top. Grilled zucchini rounds circle the ring mold alternated with what looks like a tomato confit, though I can't be sure. Cream of balsamic (I still am not sure what that is exactly), quality olive oil artfully adorn the whole thing. The ring mold comes off and the shaved asparagus spills out into a beautifully messy pile of greens. That was intentional. Vegans, eat your heart out. Chef Jeff slams the table with finality as if to say "Suck it, bitches" and walks out to tell those PETA-loving bastards what he just made.

Just one brief anecdote about my time at Va P and I gotta say it was awesome. I was exhausted but beaming every day I came home. I don't get paid but this is a hell of an experience, I've done a lot of cool shit this past weekend. I'm excited to go back on Thursday. Next time I will have to describe the mushroom strudel fiasco/experience that I went through for unannounced vegetarians. What is it with you people?!? If you're going to be picky at least tell people ahead of time. C'mon!

Lovin' it.

EP #6

2 comments:

  1. see, i was always told chefs find it delightfully charming when us vegetarians drop in and demand a dish that fits our rigid diet be created on the spot and delivered in a timely fashion. im shocked-SHOCKED-that's not the case.

    but glad to see things going well-knock 'em dead, e!

    ReplyDelete